Measure Twice, Cut Once

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Spiderbite Song ... is Wrong?

I happened upon a question at The Straight Dope (a terrific resource, by the way -- everyone should read it religiously) about spider bites. Knowing nothing whatsoever about spider bites or their results, and inhabiting a home with at least 6 varieties of spiders (none of which I can name; I simply describe them by what they look like to me: "little yellowish spider on the wall of the basement stairs," "small round black spider that sits in the center of it's web in the laundry room," etc.), I was interested. Was I, perhaps, in danger of being harmed by a spider bite?

Apparently not. According to Rick Vetter at the University of California - Riverside Department of Entomology, the vast majority of "spider bites" resulting in necrotic wounds are misdiagnoses, and are more frequently caused by bacterial infections and the like.

So, although one of my favorite songs from the Flaming Lips' album The Soft Bulletin is The Spiderbite Song, what almost caused the breakup of the band probably wasn't a spider bite at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home